Wednesday, September 26, 2012

#5: Propaganda: SlutWalk


Assignment #5 

I don’t think that I have ever heard the word slut, one so much in a discussion and two as more then what I know slut as. If someone was to ask me to define what slut means I would probably respond by saying that it’s a girl or guy that likes to sleep around without concerns of emotionally or physically hurting themselves or others. Have I used the word slut to describe a person, yes, was it a wrong slang term, yes and this article really made me realize that there is more to that term then what our generations uses it as. I agree that the term is used way too much and at the wrong times of trying to describe a person. In my opinion if someone wants to go sleep around then go for it,  she or he isn’t bothering me and the way I live. But for one to claim that slutiness is what causes rape is sorrily mistaken. There are innocent human beings male, female and many children that live a modern lifestyle, that don’t sleep around that are unfortunately raped for no reason. If you want to label someone as a slut in these regards it should be the sick human being that is a rapist. I find it very disrespectful to label someone who has been raped, believe me they have suffered enough and will continue to suffer until the day they die. I think that the SlutWalk is to help people regroup and realize that this term was never meant to become what it has become. For people to be so critical about the term and make excuses for the way that some want to live are wasting their time. Like stated before if someone wants to sleep around then let them, they aren’t hurting you and eventually it will end. People that continue to use the word are the reason that it is still used. It only took one person to use the word in regards to how a person lives their life to create a word that you hear everyday. This world would be a lot better place to live if we didn’t have labels, labels hurt and most of the time are wrongly used. The next time that you want to label someone, think about it first. Is it really hurting you or affecting you in any way? Most likely the answer is no, so why do it? Live the way you want and everyone around you will continue to do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment